A hydraulic mooring winch is specifically designed to handle the high forces involved in mooring operations, where the winch is required to handle and control the tension of the mooring lines. This type of mooring winch is powered by hydraulic system, which utilizes fluid pressure to generate the necessary mechanical force for winding and unwinding the mooring lines.
Common Types of Mooring Winch
Hydraulic marine winches can be single drum and double drum mooring winches used on ships and offshore platforms. Each type has its advantages and is suitable for specific mooring requirements. Get to know these two common types of mooring winch from the following detailed introduction.
Single Drum Mooring Winch
- A single drum mooring winch has one main drum around which the mooring line is wound.
- It is a simpler design compared to the double drum winch.
- Single drum winches are often used when the vessel or platform has a limited number of mooring points, and only one line is required to be handled at a time.
- The winch can handle one mooring line for operations like anchoring, docking, or single-point mooring (SPM) systems.
- It is generally more compact and requires less space for installation compared to double drum mooring winches, making it suitable for vessels with space constraints.
- Single drum mooring winches may require more manual intervention to handle multiple mooring lines, as the operator needs to re-spool the drum with different lines for different mooring points.
Double Drum Mooring Winch
- A double drum mooring winch has two separate drums, each dedicated to handling a different mooring line.
- It provides more versatility as it can handle multiple mooring points simultaneously, making it suitable for vessels or platforms that require handling several mooring lines during mooring or offshore operations.
- With two drums, the winch allows for faster and more efficient operations, reducing the time required to switch between different mooring points.
- Double drum winches are commonly used in applications such as side-by-side mooring, where a vessel moors alongside another vessel or structure and requires independent control of both mooring lines.
- They may be larger and require more space for installation compared to single drum winches due to the presence of two drums and associated mechanisms.
The choice between a single drum and double drum mooring winch depends on the specific mooring requirements of the vessel or platform. Factors such as the number of mooring points, frequency of mooring operations, available space, and the need for simultaneous handling of multiple lines will influence the decision.
Self tension mooring winch
A self-tension mooring winch, also known as a constant tension mooring winch, is a specialized type of mooring winch commonly used on ships and offshore platforms. Unlike conventional mooring winches that require manual adjustment of tension, self-tension mooring winches automatically maintain a constant tension on the mooring lines without the need for continuous manual operation. These winches are especially useful in dynamic mooring situations where the vessel or offshore structure experiences varying forces due to changing sea conditions, tides, or wind.
Key features and benefits of self tension mooring winches
- Automatic Tension Control: The self tension winch continuously monitors the tension in the mooring lines and adjusts the line length or drum rotation automatically to maintain a constant tension, ensuring the lines remain at the desired tension level.
- Real-time Monitoring: These winches are equipped with sensors or load cells that provide real-time data on the tension in the mooring lines. This information allows the winch to respond quickly to changing conditions.
- Enhanced Safety: By maintaining a constant tension, self tension mooring winches help prevent line slack or excessive tension, reducing the risk of accidents during mooring operations.
- Reduced Crew Workload: As the winch automatically adjusts the tension, it reduces the need for constant manual monitoring and adjustments by the crew, allowing them to focus on other critical tasks.
- Improved Mooring Efficiency: Self-tension winches provide more efficient mooring operations, as they respond promptly to changing conditions, keeping the vessel or platform more stable during mooring.
- Suitable for Dynamic Conditions: These winches are ideal for locations with strong currents, tidal variations, or locations where weather conditions can change rapidly.
- Remote Control Capability: Some self-tension mooring winches may have remote control features, allowing operators to adjust settings and monitor the winch from a distance.
While self tension mooring winches offer significant advantages in certain situations, they might not be necessary for all vessels or applications. The decision to use a self-tension winch should be based on the specific mooring requirements and the vessel’s operational needs.
Aicrane is professional in providing different winches to suit various requirements. Our winches have been exported to many countries including Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, US, UK, Nigeria, Australia, UAE and so on. If you are looking for a winch solution now, please just check the following cases for your reference.
Six sets of hydraulic self tension mooring winch shipped to Vietnam
For this project, we provided 6 sets of hydraulic mooring winch 30 ton since the customer needed a winch solution for the six-point mooring operations. After knowing clearly about the actual work conditions and the requirements, we finally offered our self tension mooring winch solution to meet all the needs. The mooring winch was equipped with spooling device to arrange the steel wire ropes on the drum in an orderly manner.
Currently, these mooring winches have been delivered to Vietnam and used for mooring operations on request, and they work reliably and efficiently, which has greatly inproved the work efficiency and saved human labor and cost.
Parameters of the 30 ton mooring hydraulic winch:
|Working load: 30T (1st layer)||Nominal speed: 12m/min (1st layer)|
|Drum capacity: φ38mm×1000m (totally 10 layers)||Holding load: 90T (static 1st layer)|
|Brake: Hydraulic operated||Clutch: Hydraulic operated|
|Dia. of warping head: φ400mm||Hydraulic motor type: ITM31-4000|
|Work pressure: ~13MPa||Working flow: ~460L/min|
10 sets of 10ton hydraulic marine winch to Indonesia
These 10 hydraulic mooring winches are provided for one of our Indonesian customer used on ships for mooring operations. The load capacity of the hydraulic winch is 10 ton, and the winch has one warping head on one side to meet the work requirements.
Since we have been in winch business for many years, our winches for Indonesia have been recognized by more and more customers. We have set up brance office and have winch agent in Indonesia in order to provide products and service rapidly for the local customers.
Key components of a hydraulic mooring winch
The hydraulically driven mooring winch features high strength and durability, which is ideal for the heavier duty marine applications. This hydraulic winch machine mainly consists of hydraulic motor, drum, clutch, brake system, control system and hydraulic power pack etc.
- Drum: The drum is a cylindrical spool around which the mooring line is wound. It provides storage and controlled release of the line during mooring and unmooring operations.
- Hydraulic Motor: The hydraulic motor converts the hydraulic fluid’s pressure and flow into mechanical rotational force. This force is used to turn the drum and wind or unwind the mooring lines.
- Braking System: A reliable braking system is an essential safety feature in mooring winches. It controls the speed at which the mooring line is released or retrieved and prevents uncontrolled line movement.
- Control System: The control system allows the operator to start, stop, and adjust the winch’s operations, including controlling the tension of the mooring lines.
- Hydraulic Power Pack: This component houses the hydraulic fluid reservoir, hydraulic pump, and other necessary hydraulic system elements. It supplies the required pressurized hydraulic fluid to the hydraulic motor.
What Factors Affect Hydraulic Mooring Winch Price
The mooring winch prices can vary depending on several key factors including load capacity, winch type, size and dimensions, customization and special features, quality and durability, certification and compliance etc.
While winch price is a significant consideration, it is equally essential to prioritize the quality, reliability, and suitability of the winch for your specific application. A well-designed and properly selected mooring winch will provide long-term value and operational efficiency, outweighing the initial cost.
Aicrane hydraulic mooring winch prices for your reference:
|Hydraulic 5 ton Mooring Winch Price||Starting at 16,000USD|
|Hydraulic 10 ton Mooring Winch Price||Starting at 26,000USD|
|Hydraulic 20 ton Mooring Winch Price||Starting at 33,000USD|
|Hydraulic 30 ton Mooring Winch Price||Starting at 52,000USD|
|Hydraulic 50 ton Mooring Winch Price||Starting at 88,000USD|
How to select a mooring winch for ships
Selecting the right mooring winch for a ship involves considering various factors to ensure it meets the specific requirements of the vessel and its intended operations. Here are the key steps to help you select a mooring winch for ships:
- Assess Mooring Requirements: Determine the vessel’s mooring needs, such as the types of mooring lines (ropes, wires, chains) to be handled, the maximum loads expected, and the number of mooring points on the ship.
- Understand Space and Installation Constraints: Consider the available space and layout on the ship for installing the winch. Ensure that the selected winch fits within the designated area and complies with any weight and size limitations.
- Calculate Load Capacity: Determine the maximum load capacity the mooring winch needs to handle. This should include the combined tension of all mooring lines during critical situations like docking or rough weather conditions.
- Select Type of Winch: There are various types of mooring winches available, such as single drum, double drum, or combination winches. Choose the type that best suits the vessel’s mooring requirements and operational needs.
- Braking System: Ensure the winch is equipped with a reliable braking system capable of securely holding the load in place when not in operation.
- Power Source: Decide on the power source for the winch. Hydraulic, electric, or hybrid systems are common options. Each has its advantages and considerations, such as power efficiency, control, and maintenance requirements.
- Quality and Reliability: Choose a reputable manufacturer known for producing high-quality and reliable mooring winches. It’s crucial to invest in a winch that can withstand the harsh marine environment and endure continuous use.
- Safety Features: Check for safety features like emergency stop mechanisms, overload protection, and fail-safe systems to enhance the safety of mooring operations.
- Compliance with Regulations: Ensure that the selected mooring winch complies with relevant maritime regulations and standards.
- Budget Considerations: Factor in the budget constraints while choosing the appropriate mooring winch. Balancing quality and performance with cost-effectiveness is essential.
By carefully considering these factors, you can make an informed decision and select a mooring winch that best meets the needs of your ship and its mooring operations.
- Consultation: Aicrane provides free consultation and communication for the customers about required products.
- Solution providing and confirming: After knowing clearly about the customers’ requirements, we will provide the suitable solutions for the customers and confirm the final one.
- Manufacturing: We have professional factory providing the customers with quality products manufactured under strict quality management system.
- Delivery: After finishing the production, our shipment department will take charge of the delivery issues to ensure the products arrive on time.
- Installation and commissioning: Aicrane provides both online and on-site installation and commissioning as the customers require.
- Maintenance and technical support: We offer the customers timely technical support anytime they need to guarantee the reliable use of Aicrane products.
Aicrane Winch Solutions
As one of the reliable and reputable winch manufacturers and suppliers, we provide a wide variety of winch types, mainly consisting of anchor winches, mooring winches, towing winches, mining winches, slipway winches, construction winches and other customized winches. Aicrane winches can be used for different applications and all of our winch solutions are offered strictly in accordance with the customers’ requirements.
If you are searching for a winch now for your new business or project, you are welcomed to contact us for a suitable winch recommendation.