Rubber tyred gantry cranes (RTGs) are an essential piece of equipment in the shipping and logistics industry. They are primarily used for handling and stacking containers in container terminals and ports. RTGs are known for their mobility and versatility, making them a popular choice for container handling operations. This article provides a detailed introduction to rubber tyred gantry cranes, including their basic features, smart functionalities, and main components.
Basic Information of RTG Rubber Tyred Gantry Cranes
- Rubber tyred gantry cranes are characterized by their ability to move on rubber tires, offering exceptional mobility within a container yard. Here are some of the basic features of RTGs:
- Load Capacity: RTGs are designed to handle a wide range of container loads, typically ranging from 30 to 65 tons. The number of containers they can lift depends on their configuration, such as single, double, or quad.
- Span and Lifting Height: The span of an RTG refers to the distance between the legs of the crane. It determines the maximum width of the container stack it can handle. The lifting height denotes the maximum height to which the crane can lift containers.
- Power Supply: RTGs are powered by electricity, either through a diesel-driven generator or an electrified busbar system. The latter is gaining popularity due to its environmental benefits and operational efficiency.
- Mobility: The rubber tires enable RTGs to move in multiple directions, including forward, backward, sideways, and even rotate in place. This maneuverability allows them to access containers in different rows and positions.
Smart Features of Rubber Tyre Gantry Crane
Advancements in technology have introduced several smart features to improve the efficiency, safety, and productivity of rubber tyred gantry cranes. Here are some notable smart functionalities:
- Automation and Remote Operation: RTGs can be equipped with automation systems that enable remote operation. This allows operators to control the crane from a centralized control room, enhancing safety and reducing the need for personnel in the yard.
- Anti-Sway Systems: To minimize load sway during container handling, RTGs can be equipped with anti-sway systems. These systems use sensors and algorithms to detect and counteract the pendulum-like motion of containers, ensuring smoother and safer operations.
- Collision Avoidance Systems: RTGs can incorporate collision avoidance systems that use sensors and cameras to detect obstacles and provide real-time alerts to operators. These systems help prevent accidents and improve overall safety in the container yard.
- Data Analytics and Predictive Maintenance: Smart RTGs can collect and analyze data on crane performance, maintenance needs, and operational patterns. This information can be utilized for predictive maintenance, optimizing crane utilization, and improving overall efficiency.
Main Components of Rubber Tire Gantry Crane
Rubber tyred gantry cranes are composed of several key components that work together to ensure their functionality. Here are the main components of an RTG:
- Steel Structure: The steel structure forms the main framework of the crane, providing stability and support for the other components.
- Hoisting Mechanism: The hoisting mechanism consists of the hoist drum, wire ropes, and spreader. It is responsible for lifting and lowering containers.
- Trolley Mechanism: The trolley mechanism enables the horizontal movement of the hoist along the gantry beam. It allows the crane to position containers accurately.
- Gantry Traveling Mechanism: This mechanism enables the crane to move horizontally along the rails of the container yard. It consists of wheels, axles, and drive systems.
- Power Supply System: The power supply system provides electricity to the RTG. It can be a diesel generator, an electrified busbar system, or other alternative power sources.
- Control System: The control system encompasses various electronic components, including programmable logic controllers (PLCs), human-machine interfaces (HMIs), and sensors. It controls the crane’s operations and ensures safety and efficiency.
Rubber tyred gantry cranes play a crucial role in container handling operations at ports and container terminals. Their mobility, load capacity, and smart features make them indispensable in modern logistics. By embracing automation, anti-sway systems, collision avoidance technologies, and data analytics, RTGs continue to evolve and enhance their capabilities. Understanding the basic features, smart functionalities, and main components of rubber tyred gantry cranes is essential for crane engineers and industry professionals to optimize their utilization and contribute to the efficient movement of goods in the global supply chain.
Aicrane, as a professional crane manufacturer and supplier, provides various types of rubber tyred gantry cranes to suit different requirements, if you are interested in knowing more about this type of gantry cranes, you are welcomed to contact us to get more details. We are committed to providing both quality products and excellent services for the customers and helping them get succeed in their business.